Queen Elizabeth Seeks Solutions To Staff After Harry And Megan “Stepped Back” As Senior Royals

BBC royal correspondent Nicholas Witchell said Her Majesty had been in touch with the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge on Thursday.

0
119

The Queen has asked staff to work with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to find a workable solution after the couple announced they will step back as senior royals.

It comes as the Royal Family was said to be “hurt” at the couple’s statement.

Prince Harry and Meghan did not consult any other royal about making their personal statement, palace sources have told BBC royal correspondent Jonny Dymond.

Queen Elisabeth, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry
Queen Elisabeth, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry

In their announcement on Wednesday evening, Prince Harry and Meghan revealed they intend “to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family, and work to become financially independent”.

They plan to split their time between the UK and North America, while “continuing to honour our duty to the Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages”.

“Internal discussions”

The decision came “after many months of reflection and internal discussions”, they added.

Buckingham Palace was “blindsided” by the couple’s statement, said our correspondent Jonny Dymond.

Meghan Markle, Prince Harry, Queen Elizabeth
Meghan Markle, Prince Harry, Queen Elizabeth

There had been talks within the Royal Family about the Sussexes’ future – but they were at an early stage, he said.

In a statement on Wednesday, Buckingham Palace said: “We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.”

Despite the couple’s decision, Harry will remain sixth in line to the throne.

Struggle from in within

Last October, Prince Harry and Meghan publicly revealed their struggles under the media spotlight.

Queen Elizabeth
Queen Elizabeth II talks to guests at an evening reception for members of the Diplomatic Corps at Buckingham Palace in London. PA Photo. Picture date: Wednesday December 11, 2019. See PA story ROYAL Queen. Photo credit should read: Victoria Jones/PA Wire

Over Christmas, the couple took a six-week break from royal duties to spend some time in Canada with their son, Archie, who was born in May.

After returning to the UK on Tuesday, Harry, 35, and Meghan, 38, visited Canada’s High Commission in London to thank the country for hosting them and said the warmth and hospitality they received was “unbelievable”.

Former actress Meghan, who is American, lived and worked in Toronto during her time starring in the popular US drama Suits, and she has several Canadian friends.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here