“Days of Our Lives” fans can breathe a sigh of relief.
Speaking to reporters at the Television Critics Association Saturday, NBC Entertainment chairman Paul Telegdy confirmed that the long-running soap opera would continue at the network, although he said NBC remains in negotiations for the renewal.
“Of course “Days of Our Lives” is going to carry on,” he said. “We love it.”
Telegdy was speaking about the drama surrounding the soap, which debuted in 1965, in November when it was reported that the the show’s entire cast had been released from their contracts. While final contract details are being worked out, the show is expected to return for a 56th season, USA TODAY confirmed at the time, although NBC declined comment.
“Days” planned an “indefinite hiatus” later this month, after it completes taping for the 2019-20 TV season, with enough episodes to air until September.
Chandler Massey, who portrays Will Horton on the series, took to Twitter following the news to assure fans that the daytime soap opera wasn’t going anywhere.
“We’re not being cancelled,” he tweeted Nov. 12. “We are pausing production because we are so far ahead of schedule (and it saves us $). Days will still air during the entire hiatus, so you won’t miss anything!”
“Let me clear this up for everybody,” Banus said. “All these articles with headlines saying that our show’s being axed, that we have all been fired, is BS. It is fake (expletive). I have not been fired from ‘Days of our Lives.’ That is ridiculous. None of my co-stars have been fired from the show.”
The show has won several Daytime Emmy Awards during its long run, including the outstanding drama series title in 1978, 2013, 2015 and 2018.