What we know about the Wuhan coronavirus so far
Here’s where things stand now:
- Death toll: The total number of deaths from the Wuhan coronavirus has topped 910, according to authorities, officially outpacing the global death toll from the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) outbreak of 2003.
- Around the world: More than 40,500 cases of the virus have been confirmed worldwide, with the vast majority of those in mainland China.
- What it’s like in China: The country began going back to work today, after the Lunar New Year holiday became an extended quarantine for hundreds of millions in an effort to contain the spread of the virus. Even though businesses are gradually resuming operations, many people remain under quarantine, working from home where possible.
- Food prices soaring: The outbreak is driving up the cost of food, healthcare and clothing in China. The virus is also hurting the global economy — snarling supply chains and disrupting companies.
- Cruise ship quarantine: The largest outbreak outside mainland China is on board a cruise ship docked in the Japanese port of Yokohama, south of Tokyo. As of Monday afternoon local time, 135 people on board the ship had tested positive for the virus, with at least 24 Americans among the infected according to information from Princess Cruises and a CNN tally. Thousands of passengers and crew have been quarantined on board for almost a week, and continue to be tested by the Japanese health authorities.
Amazon and Sony drop out of major tech event because of coronavirus
Tech giants Amazon and Sony are the latest firms to pull out of Mobile World Congress, one of the world’s biggest annual business conferences amid the coronavirus spread.
“Due to the outbreak and continued concerns about novel coronavirus, Amazon will withdraw from exhibiting and participating in Mobile World Congress 2020, scheduled for Feb. 24-27 in Barcelona, Spain” Amazon said in a statement to CNN.
Sony also issued a similar statement following the outbreak.As we place the utmost importance on the safety and wellbeing of our customers, partners, media and employees, we have taken the difficult decision to withdraw from exhibiting and participating at MWC 2020 in Barcelona, Spain.”, the company said.
The latest withdrawals follow Ericsson and LG electronics, who announced last week they also wouldn’t attend the event.
The event organizers said Monday that Mobile World Congress will go ahead as planned and that they would ban access to all travelers from the Hubei province.
Organizers outlined additional safety measures including temperature screening. All travelers who have been to China will also need to demonstrate proof they have been outside of China at least 14 days before the event.